Hamilton Herald Masthead


Front Page - Friday, June 7, 2024

Obtaining Real ID won’t be an easy task for some

As much as we would prefer it to be, the process of obtaining a Real ID won’t be as easy as showing up to your nearest driver’s services center or county clerk’s office with your driver’s license and utility bill and walking out with a shiny new identification card.

But a little bit of prep (and a lot of patience, especially if you wait until next year to start the process) will help ease the transition.

The main thing you will need to help prove you are you is one of the following, which will establish your proof of citizenship or lawful permanent residency. (NOTE: All items must be original documents. No photocopies will be accepted.)

Acceptable Documents for U.S. Citizenship

• Official Birth Certificate issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction or territory (Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, Swain’s Island, Guam)

• Puerto Rican birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010, will NOT be recognized as proof of Lawful U.S. Citizenship. The government of Puerto Rico has provided information for citizens to apply for new birth certificates

• U.S. Government-issued Certified Birth Certificate

• U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad (DS-1350 or FS-545)

• Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the U.S. (FS-240)

• Valid, unexpired U.S. Passport

• Certificate of Citizenship (N560 or N561)

• Certificate of Naturalization (N550, N570 or N578)

• U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-197, I-179)

Acceptable Documents for Lawful Permanent Resident Status

• Permanent Resident Alien Card (I-551)

• Foreign passport stamped by the U.S. Government indicating that the holder has been “Processed for I-551”

• Permanent resident Re-entry Permit (I-327)

• Arrival Departure Form I-94 with “Temporary I-551” stamp and holder’s photograph affixed

• Travel Document issued to Permanent Residents (I-327)

• Travel Document issued to Refugees (I-571)

• Form I-94 stamped with one of the following statuses: Asylee, Parolee or Parole, Refugee, Asylum, HP-humanitarian parolee or PIP-public interest parolee

More information